The protruding, removable portion of a filter, particularly a water filter.
(pottery) To dry greenware prior to beginning of the firing cycle, setting the kiln at 200° Celsius until all water is removed from the greenware.
- to work or, esp., play too much so that one's energy is dissipated
- to be not nearly so good as
- (a thing) not worth doing
Other Word Forms of Candle
Idioms, Phrasal Verbs Related to Candle
- burn the candle at both ends
- not hold a candle to
- (a game) not worth the candle
Origin of Candle
Middle English candel from Old English and from Anglo-Norman candele both from Latin candēla from candēre to shine kand- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
Find Similar Words
Find similar words to candle using the buttons below.