The store has drastically reduced winter coats.
Reduced her ideas to a collection of maxims.
When you sell off half of your doll collection, your actions are an example of reduce.
An example of reduce is when your stomach gets smaller because you are on a diet; your stomach reduces.
An example of reduce is when you insult someone and make him feel inferior.
An example of reduce is when you are starving and you have no choice but to steal food- you are forced into or reduced to stealing.
- To gain control of; subject or conquer.
- To subject to destruction.Enemy bombers reduced the city to rubble.
- To bring to a specified undesirable state, as of weakness or helplessness.Disease that reduced the patient to emaciation; teasing that reduced the child to tears.
- To compel to desperate acts.The Depression reduced many to begging on street corners.
- To lower in rank or grade; demote.
To reduce fractions to their lowest terms.
Origin of reduce
- Middle English reducen to bring back from Old French reducier from Latin redūcere re- re- dūcere to lead deuk- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition