Origin of maroonFrench marron, chestnut, chestnut color from Italian marrone
This man appears to have been marooned on an island.
- The definition of maroon is dark red with either purple or brown tints.
An example of maroon is a wine-colored shirt.
- To maroon is defined as to put someone in an isolated place.
An example of to maroon is to leave someone on an island.
- [sometimesM-] in the West Indies and Suriname,
- Historical a fugitive black slave
- a descendant of such slaves
- Rare a marooned person
Origin of maroonFrench marron from American Spanish cimarrón, wild, unruly from Old Spanish cimarra, thicket
- to put (a person) ashore in some desolate place, as a desert island, and abandon that person there, as pirates or mutineers sometimes did
- to leave abandoned, isolated, or helpless
Obs. in the South, to camp out or picnic for several days
transitive verbma·rooned, ma·roon·ing, ma·roons
- To put ashore on a deserted island or coast and intentionally abandon.
- To abandon or isolate with little hope of ready rescue or escape: The travelers were marooned by the blizzard.
- often Maroon a. A fugitive black slave in the West Indies in the 1600s and 1700s.b. A descendant of such a slave.
- A person who is marooned, as on an island.
Origin of maroonFrom French marron fugitive slave from American Spanish cimarrón wild, runaway perhaps from cima summit (from runaways' fleeing to the mountains) from Latin céma sprout ; see cyma .
A dark reddish brown to dark purplish red.
Origin of maroonFrench marron chestnut from Italian marrone
- The carpet was a deep maroon, soft and cushy, the walls around her brown.
- You have a maroon dress, have it fetched.
- It was sensual, dark and cool: black walls and obsidian wood flooring covered by jewel-toned rugs, mahogany California King bed with the finest maroon silk sheets and a dark gray comforter so soft, it was like sleeping in a cloud.
- She spotted the maroon drops on the pad of one thumb and drew his hand up to her lips.
- He went through one of Andre's two walk-in closets, choosing a maroon sweater and chocolate suede pants.