Origin of maroonFrench marron, chestnut, chestnut color from Italian marrone
This man appears to have been marooned on an island.
- The definition of maroon is dark red with either purple or brown tints.
An example of maroon is a wine-colored shirt.
- To maroon is defined as to put someone in an isolated place.
An example of to maroon is to leave someone on an island.
- [sometimesM-] in the West Indies and Suriname,
- Historical a fugitive black slave
- a descendant of such slaves
- Rare a marooned person
Origin of maroonFrench marron from American Spanish cimarrón, wild, unruly from Old Spanish cimarra, thicket
- to put (a person) ashore in some desolate place, as a desert island, and abandon that person there, as pirates or mutineers sometimes did
- to leave abandoned, isolated, or helpless
transitive verbma·rooned, ma·roon·ing, ma·roons
- To put ashore on a deserted island or coast and intentionally abandon.
- To abandon or isolate with little hope of ready rescue or escape: The travelers were marooned by the blizzard.
- often Maroon a. A fugitive black slave in the West Indies in the 1600s and 1700s.b. A descendant of such a slave.
- A person who is marooned, as on an island.
Origin of maroonFrom French marron fugitive slave from American Spanish cimarrón wild, runaway perhaps from cima summit (from runaways' fleeing to the mountains) from Latin céma sprout ; see cyma .
Origin of maroonFrench marron chestnut from Italian marrone
- Associated with Maroon culture, communities or peoples.
(third-person singular simple present maroons, present participle marooning, simple past and past participle marooned)
- To abandon in a remote, desolate place, as on a deserted island.
(comparative more maroon, superlative most maroon)
- Of a maroon color
From an intentional mispronunciation of the word moron used by the cartoon character Bugs Bunny.
- The carpet was a deep maroon, soft and cushy, the walls around her brown.
- It was sensual, dark and cool: black walls and obsidian wood flooring covered by jewel-toned rugs, mahogany California King bed with the finest maroon silk sheets and a dark gray comforter so soft, it was like sleeping in a cloud.
- You have a maroon dress, have it fetched.
- Maroon conglomerate 4500 ft.
- She spotted the maroon drops on the pad of one thumb and drew his hand up to her lips.