- designating or of the sex that fertilizes the ovum of the female and begets offspring: biological symbol, ?
- of, characteristic of, or suitable for members of this sex; masculine; virile
- consisting of men or boys
- designating or having a part shaped to fit into a corresponding hollow part (called female): said of pipe fittings, electric plugs, etc.
- having stamens or antheridia, but no carpels, archegonia, or oogonia
- designating or of a reproductive structure or part producing spermatozoids that can fertilize the female eggs
Origin of maleMiddle English from Old French male, masle from Classical Latin masculus from mas (gen. maris), a male, man
- a male person; man or boy
- a male animal or plant