Listened to the telemarketer but resented the imposition.
- The forcing of oneself, one's presence or will, etc. on another or others without right or invitation.
- A taking advantage of friendship, etc.
- The laying on of hands, as in ordaining.
- A tax, fine, etc.
- An unjust burden or requirement.
- A deception; fraud.
When you show up at someone else's home unannounced and demand that he or she make you breakfast and clean your clothing, this is an example of an imposition.
When the government puts a new tax on you that takes a large percentage of your income, this is an example of an imposition.
Origin of imposition
- From Old French imposicion, from Latin impositio