An example of a duty is the act of students completing homework assignments.
One's duty to vote.
The duties of a secretary.
A duty sergeant.
I’m on duty from 6 pm to 6 am.
- Obliged:You are duty bound to help your little sister and brother.
- Not engaged in or responsible for assigned work.
- Engaged in or responsible for assigned work.
- to substitute for; serve as
- officially engaged (or not officially engaged) in one's duties
Origin of duty
- Middle English duete from Anglo-Norman from due variant of Old French deu due due
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition