An example of Hurricane is the nickname for a famous boxer.
- Category 1, winds 74-95, minimal damage and flooding, 4-5 foot storm surge.
- Category 2, winds 96-110, moderate damage to buildings, more damage to vegetation, flooding, 6-8 foot storm surge.
- Category 3, winds 111-130, extensive damage to buildings, mobile homes destroyed, extensive flooding, 9-12 foot storm surge.
- Category 4, winds 131-155, extreme damage to buildings, erosion of beach, massive flooding, 13-18 foot storm surge.
- Category 5, winds more than 155, catastrophic damage with complete roof or building destruction, extreme flooding, over 18 foot storm surge.
An example of a hurricane is the storm Katrina that hit New Orleans in 2005.
Other Word Forms
Origin of hurricane
- Spanish huracán from Taíno hurákan Arawak kulakani thunder
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- Coined by Jeret Peterson