- To proceed or perform with great speed, skill, or success.
- To put pressure on someone.
- Under great pressure or under threat.
- to cause something to start or gain speed
- to act with speed and efficiency
Other Word Forms of Gun
Origin of Gun
Middle English Lady Gunilda which was a huge crossbow that used powerful shot. It later became used for firearms like cannons and muskets. The Germanic woman’s name “Gundahild” , cognate to modern Scandinavian Gunhild, means “war" + "battle maid”.
Middle English gonne cannon short for Gunilda woman's name applied to a siege engine from Old Norse Gunnhildr woman's name gunnr war gwhen- in Indo-European roots hildr war
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
Find Similar Words
Find similar words to gun using the buttons below.