An example of glaze is to put syrup on donuts.
An example of a glaze is a frosted window pane.
Glaze a window.
Glaze a doughnut; glaze pottery.
His eyes glazed over from boredom.
- To overlay (pottery, etc.) with a substance that gives a glassy finish when fused.
- To make the surface of (leather, etc.) glossy by polishing, etc.
- To cover (foods) with a glassy coating of sugar syrup, gelatin, etc.
- To coat (a painted surface) with a semitransparent color.
Origin of glaze
- From Middle English glasen from glas glass from Old English glæs ghel-2 in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Old English glær (“amber”).