The definition of erstwhile is something from an earlier time.
An example of something erstwhile is a girl who was your best friend as a child.
In the past; at a former time; formerly.
Former: our erstwhile companions.
- These erstwhile suitors are the subject of comedies from Shakespeare to Friends, and yet the fact is that it is a reality.
- Kristen Bell (of Veronica Mars and Heroes) voices the erstwhile title character and signs off her erstwhile narrations with xoxo, Gossip Girl.
- It was not a good day for crime for the mugger as the erstwhile crime fighter - Jack Osbourne - soon overtook him.
- In Metal Gear Solid 4, our erstwhile special-ops hero, Solid Snake, is now a grizzled veteran facing legions of bipedal robots - and doubtlessly, he also is up against a cadre of superpowered bad guys and the usual save-the-world situation.
- Rather than sinking without a trace, as many erstwhile efforts from talented but unknown teams have historically done, Serious Sam won a raft of gaming awards, including GameSpot's game of the year, and sold quite well.