Preceding is the act of coming before or being ahead of.
An example of preceding is the number one coming before the number two.
- Existing or coming before another or others: in preceding years; on a preceding page.
- Existing or coming immediately before another or others: the preceding year; the preceding page.
- Present participle of precede.
- We will do much more in the next twenty years than in the preceding one hundred.
- I trust that my readers have not concluded from the preceding chapter on books that reading is my only pleasure; my pleasures and amusements are many and varied.
- The whole lot contains eleven acres, mostly growing up to pines and hickories, and was sold the preceding season for eight dollars and eight cents an acre.
- They were accepted by a population eager for repose, who had merged old class distinctions in the conflicts of preceding centuries.
- The ersaeome (Calycophorida), made up of the same appendages as the preceding type but with the addition of a nectocalyx; when free termed Ersaea.