Formerly is defined as in the past.
An example of formerly is being known by a different name in the past; formerly known as Mary Jones.
At an earlier time; once.
- Sea-elephants and fur-seals were formerly plentiful.
- Formerly he had feared the end.
- The hunters were formerly a numerous and merry crew here.
- Formerly giraffes were found in large herds, but persecution has reduced their number and led to their extermination from many districts.
- Its geographical range was formerly very extensive, and included Great Britain, France, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, Bohemia, Hungary, Poland, Transylvania, Galicia, the Caucasus as far as the Caspian, southern Russia, Italy, Spain, Greece, Rumania, Bulgaria, Servia, and portions of central and northern Asia.