- that can burn, eat away, or destroy tissue by chemical action; corrosive
- cutting or sarcastic in utterance; biting
- designating or of the curved radial surface, or a plane curve in this surface, formed by the reflection or refraction of rays from a curved solid surface
Origin of causticMiddle English caustik from Classical Latin causticus from Classical Greek kaustikos from kaustos, burning from kaiein, to burn
- any caustic substance, esp. caustic soda
- a caustic surface or curve
Origin of causticL causticum < the adj.