- Obs. a fortress, stockade, etc. for defending an entrance or gate
- a thing that prevents passage or approach; obstruction, as a fence, wall, etc.
- anything that holds apart, separates, or hinders: racial barriers, barriers to progress
- a customs gate on a country's border
- [sometimesB-] ice shelf
- [pl.] a high fence of stakes enclosing the area in which a tournament of knights was held; lists
- Horse Racing the movable gate used to keep the horses in line at the starting point
Origin of barrierMiddle English barrere from Old French barriere from barre, bar