A hand with a large wart on the index finger.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a small, usually hard, tumorous growth on the skin, caused by a virus
- any small protuberance, as a glandular protuberance on a plant
- an imperfection, failing, flaw, etc.: a lovable person, warts and all
Origin: Middle English warte from Old English wearte, akin to German warze from Indo-European base an unverified form wer-, a raised place from source Classical Latin verruca, wart, varix
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A hard rough lump growing on the skin, caused by infection with certain viruses and occurring typically on the hands or feet.b. A similar growth or protuberance, as on a plant.
- A genital wart.
- a. One that resembles or is likened to a wart, especially in unattractiveness or smallness.b. An imperfection; a flaw.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English wearte.
- wartˈed, wartˈy adjective
wart - Medical Definition
wart - Phrases/Idioms
warts and all
wart - Science Definition
- A small growth on the skin caused by a virus, occurring typically on the hands or feet.
- A similar growth on a plant, especially one caused by a fungal disease.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.