- a swelling on some part of the body
- a mass of new tissue growth independent of its surrounding structures, having no physiological function; neoplasm: such tumors are classified as benign or malignant
- Obs. high-flown language; bombast
Origin of tumorL, a swelling ; from tumere, to swell ; from Indo-European base an unverified form t?u-, to swell from source thumb
Brit. sp. tu′mour
- An abnormal growth of tissue resulting from uncontrolled, progressive multiplication of cells and serving no physiological function; a neoplasm.
- A swollen part; a swelling: a plant tumor.
Origin of tumorMiddle English tumour, from Latin tumor, from tum&emacron;re, to swell; see teu&schwa;- in Indo-European roots.
- tu′mor·al, tu′mor·ous
Tumor is the standard US spelling and an alternative spelling in Canada. Tumour is the standard modern spelling elsewhere.