- The placing of students in any of several courses of study according to ability, achievement, or needs. Also called ability grouping.
- The position of a magnetic tape as it moves across magnetic heads, as in a VCR.
- The lateral pressure of a phonograph needle as it tracks in a groove.
- Present participle of track.
tracking - Computer Definition
(3) Synchronizing a reading or writing mechanism with a rotating platter. For example, a stylus must maintain a smooth contact with the groove in a vinyl phonograph record. A laser must align itself precisely to the tracks of a CD.
(4) In desktop publishing, the consistent letterspacing of text. Tracking is used to expand or contract the amount of text on a page by expanding or reducing the amount of space between letters. It differs from kerning in that it is applied to an entire font or to a range of text, whereas kerning refers to certain letter pairs.