- waste or refuse left in various processes of milling, mining, distilling, etc.
- the part of a projecting brick, stone, etc. fastened into a wall
Origin of tailingtail, verb + -ing
- tailings Refuse or dross remaining after ore has been processed.
- Architecture The portion of a tailed beam, brick, or board inside a wall.
- Present participle of tail.
- The act of following someone.
- (architecture) The part of a projecting stone or brick inserted in a wall.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.