Variant of dog
- any of a large and varied group of domesticated canines (Canis familiaris) often kept as a house pet or used for hunting, guarding people or property, etc.
- any of various wild canines
- the male of a canine
- a mean, contemptible fellow
- a prairie dog, dogfish, or other animal thought to resemble a dog
Origin: < its orig. shape: cf. Fr chenetan andiron; firedog
- Informal a boy or man: lucky dog
- ☆ Slang feet
- hot dog (sense )
- an unattractive or unpopular person
- ☆ an unsatisfactory thing or unsuccessful venture
- Mech. any of several devices for holding or grappling
- a parhelion; sundog
- a fogdog
Origin: ME, generalized in sense < late, rare OE docga, dogga (usual hund: see hound) < ?
- to follow, hunt, or track down doggedly
- ☆ to hold or secure with a mechanical dog
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.