- the act of touching down, or landing
- the moment at which a landing aircraft or spacecraft touches the landing surface
- Football a scoring play, worth six points, in which a player reaches the opponent's end zone with the ball
See touchdown in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- Abbr. TD Football An act of carrying, receiving, or gaining possession of the ball across the opponent's goal line for a score of six points.
- The contact, or moment of contact, of a landing aircraft or spacecraft with the landing surface.
Origin: From the earlier practice of touching the ball to the ground behind the goal line
Learn more about touchdown