- the act of touching down, or landing
- the moment at which a landing aircraft or spacecraft touches the landing surface
- Football a scoring play, worth six points, in which a player reaches the opponent's end zone with the ball
- Abbr. TD Football An act of carrying, receiving, or gaining possession of the ball across the opponent's goal line for a score of six points.
- The contact, or moment of contact, of a landing aircraft or spacecraft with the landing surface.
Origin of touchdownFrom the earlier practice of touching the ball to the ground behind the goal line
- (American football, Canadian football) A six-point score occurring when the ball enters possession of a team's player in the opponent's end zone. Analogous to a try in rugby.
- Today I scored my first touchdown.
- (aviation) The moment when an aircraft or spacecraft makes first or final contact with the ground during a landing.
- The passengers audibly relaxed at touchdown.
- (rugby) A try