- The definition of tearful is someone who is crying or who cries often, or is something that causes crying.
- A person who sobs at movies all the time is an example of someone who is tearful.
- A sad goodbye is an example of a tearful goodbye.
A tearful woman.
tearful definition by Webster's New World
- in tears; weeping
- causing tears; sad
tearful definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Filled with or accompanied by tears: tearful eyes; a tearful farewell.
- So piteous as to excite tears: a tearful melodrama.
- tearˈful·ly adverb
- tearˈful·ness noun