- The definition of lachrymose is someone who cries easily or something that causes sadness.
- An example of someone lachrymose is an emotional new mother.
- An example of something lachrymose is a sad story where the love interest dies.
A lachrymose woman.
lachrymose definition by Webster's New World
- inclined to shed many tears; tearful
- causing tears; sad: a lachrymose tale
Origin: Classical Latin lacrimosus ; from lacrima, tear
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- lachrymosely adverb
lachrymose definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Weeping or inclined to weep; tearful.
- Causing or tending to cause tears.
Origin: Latin lacrimōsus, from lacrima, tear; see lachrymal.
- lachˈry·moseˌly adverb
- lachˌry·mosˈi·ty noun