- A slash in or a slender lobe of a leaf or petal.
- The apex of the insect maxilla.
Origin of laciniaLatin fringe, hem
- (botany) One of the narrow, jagged, irregular pieces or divisions which form a sort of fringe on the borders of the petals of some flowers.
- (botany) A narrow, slender portion of the edge of a monophyllous calyx, or of any irregularly incised leaf.
- (zoology) The posterior inner process of the stipes on the maxillae of insects.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
Latin, the lappet or flap of a garment.