- a strong, narrow, woven strip of cotton, linen, etc. used to bind seams in garments, tie bundles, etc.
- a narrow strip or band of steel, paper, etc.
- a strip of cloth stretched between posts above the finishing line of a race
- tape measure
- adhesive tape, friction tape, magnetic tape, ticker tape, etc.
Origin of tapeMiddle English from Old English tæppe, a fillet, akin to tæppa: see tap
transitive verbtaped, tap′ing
- to put tape on or around, as for binding or tying
- to measure by using a tape measure
- to record (sound, video material, computer data, etc.) on magnetic tape