- The definition of electronic is something that is produced or operated by charged electrons.
- An example of electronic is a television being plugged into a wall socket.
- An example of electronic used as an adjective is the phrase electronic banking which refers to a process where funds are transferred through computerized systems such as automated teller machines and online banking.
electronic definition by Webster's New World
- of or having to do with electrons
- operating, produced, or done by the action of electrons or other carriers in semiconductors, vacuum tubes, etc.
- carried on by or making use of electronic equipment: electronic banking, electronic journalism
- electronically adverb
electronic definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of or relating to electrons.
- Of, based on, operated by, or otherwise involving the controlled conduction of electrons or other charge carriers, especially in a vacuum, gas, or semiconducting material.
- Of, relating to, or produced by means of electronics: electronic navigation; electronic books.
- Of or relating to music produced or altered by electronic means, as by a tape recorder or synthesizer.
- Of, implemented on, or controlled by a computer or computer network.
- e·lecˌtronˈi·cal·ly adverb
electronic - Computer Definition
The use of electricity in intelligence-bearing devices, such as radios, TVs, instruments, computers and telecommunications. Electricity used as raw power for heat, light and motors is considered electrical, not electronic. Although coined earlier, "Electronics" magazine (1930) popularized the term. The magazine subheading read "Electron Tubes - Their Radio, Audio, Visio and Industrial Applications." The term was derived from the electron (vacuum) tube.
electronic - Science Definition