- To tabulate is to arrange data or information in columns and tables.
When you do a study and find out how much a pack of notebook paper costs in eight different stores and then you create a table with the name of the store along one side and the prices and sizes of paper packs along the other, this is an example of a time when you tabulate the information learned in your study.
tabulate definition by Webster's New World
Origin: ; from Late Latin tabulatus, past participle of tabulare: see tablature
- having a flat surface
- having or made of thin, horizontal plates, as some corals
- tabulation noun
tabulate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb tab·u·lat·ed, tab·u·lat·ing, tab·u·lates
- To arrange in tabular form; condense and list.
- To cut or form with a plane surface.
Origin: Latin tabula, writing + -ate1.
- tabˌu·laˈtion noun
tabulate - Computer Definition
(1) To arrange data into a columnar format.
(2) To sum and print totals.