- Swindle is to use deception, lies or fraudulent is defined as to trick someone or to obtain something that is not yours.
When you lie to little old ladies and tell them you are selling them a Florida condo but really sell them nothing, this is an example of a time when you swindle.
swindle definition by Webster's New World
- to get money or property from (another) under false pretenses; cheat; defraud
- to get by false pretenses or fraud
Origin: back-formation ; from swindler
swindle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb swin·dled, swin·dling, swin·dles verb, transitive
- To cheat or defraud of money or property.
- To obtain by fraudulent means: swindled money from the company.
Origin: Back-formation from swindler, one who swindles, from German Schwindler, giddy person, cheat, from schwindeln, to be dizzy, swindle, from Middle High German, from Old High German swintilōn, frequentative of swintan, to disappear.
- swinˈdler noun