- The definition of a stratum means a layer or a section, or a division of the atmosphere or ocean, or a section of society.
- An example of a stratum is the cheese layer of a lasagna.
- An example of a stratum is the layer with one soil type in rock sample.
- An example of a stratum is the top layer of skin.
- An example of a stratum in Earth’s atmosphere is the Thermosphere.
- An example of a stratum is the social position of a young person born to a wealthy family.
nounpl. strata or stratums
- a horizontal layer or section of material, esp. any of several lying one upon another; specif.,
- Biol. a layer of tissue
- Geol. a single layer of sedimentary rock
- a section, level, or division, as of the atmosphere or ocean, regarded as like a stratum
- any of the socioeconomic groups of a society as determined by birth, income, education, etc.
Origin of stratumModern Latin ; from Classical Latin a covering, blanket ; from stratus, past participle of sternere, to spread, stretch out, cover: for Indo-European base see strew
nounpl. stra·ta or stra·tums
- A horizontal layer of material, especially one of several parallel layers arranged one on top of another.
- Geology A bed or layer of sedimentary rock that is visually distinguishable from adjacent beds or layers.
- Any of the regions of the atmosphere, such as the troposphere, that occur as layers.
- Biology A layer of tissue: the epithelial stratum.
- A level of society composed of people with similar social, cultural, or economic status.
- One of a number of layers, levels, or divisions in an organized system: a complex poem with many strata of meaning.
Origin of stratumLatin strātum, a covering, from neuter past participle of sternere, to spread; see stratus.
- One of several parallel horizontal layers of material arranged one on top of another.
- (geology) A layer of sedimentary rock having approximately the same composition throughout.
- Any of the regions of the atmosphere, such as the stratosphere, that occur as layers.
- (biology) A layer of tissue.
- A class of society composed of people with similar social, cultural, or economic status.
- (ecology) A layer of vegetation, usually of similar height.