to burden oppressively; weigh down
- something that overburdens
- Geol. soil, rock, etc. that is covering or overlying a useful deposit, as of ore
transitive verbo·ver·bur·dened, o·ver·bur·den·ing, o·ver·bur·dens
- To burden with too much weight; overload.
- To subject to an excessive burden or strain; overtax.
- An excessive burden; an overload.
- Geology a. Material overlying a useful mineral deposit.b. Sedimentary rock covering older crystalline layers.
- Archaeology A sterile stratum overlying a stratum bearing traces of the culture being studied.
(third-person singular simple present overburdens, present participle overburdening, simple past and past participle overburdened)
From over- +"Ž burden.