- The definition of so called is something that is alleging to be something you are not sure it is.
An example of so called is when someone says he is an actor but you don't believe he is. You might say "the so-called actor."
- popularly known or called by this term: the so-called nuclear powers
- inaccurately or questionably designated as such: a so-called liberal
- Commonly called: “the artificial elevation that often occurs when a doctor or nurse reads a patient's blood pressure—the so-called white coat syndrome” (Andrew Weil).
- Incorrectly or falsely termed: My so-called friends were gossiping about me again.
- (idiomatic) So named; called by such a name, with a very strong connotation that the item is not worthy of that name.
- (mathematics, sciences) Same as above, without the negative connotation.
- The so-called Ising model.
so + called