(plural sign ons)
(third-person singular simple present signs on, present participle signing on, simple past and past participle signed on)
- To join something, after signing.
- To commit oneself, as to a project, a goal, on organization, a cause.
- I never signed on for this.
- (broadcasting) To begin broadcasting a radio or television signal, usually at the beginning of a broadcasting day and after being off the air for several hours.
- Years ago, the TV station would sign on at 5 a.m., but now it broadcasts 24 hours a day.
- (idiomatic) To log on; to start using a computer, radio, etc., or to start talking.
- (UK, intransitive) To receive unemployment benefits.