- The definition of a television is an electronic device used to receive sound and images which create television programs that people watch.
A device in your house on which you watch sitcoms, movies or the news is an example of a television.
A flat panel television.
television definition by Webster's New World
- the practice or science of transmitting scenes or views by radio or, sometimes, by wire: the television transmitter, by means of a camera tube, such as an image orthicon or vidicon, converts light rays into electric signals for modulation upon a radio carrier wave or for transmission over wires; the television receiver reconverts the signals into electron beams that are projected against the fluorescent screen of the kinescope, or picture tube, reproducing the original image
- broadcasting by television as an industry, entertainment, art, etc.
- all the facilities and related activities of such broadcasting
- a television receiving set
- a television program or programs: they watched television last night
Origin: tele- plush vision
television definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The transmission of dynamic or sometimes static images, generally with accompanying sound, via electric or electromagnetic signals.b. An electronic apparatus that receives such signals, reproducing the images on a screen, and typically reproducing accompanying sound signals on speakers.c. The visual and audio content of such signals.
- The industry of producing and broadcasting television programs.
Origin: French télévision : télé-, far (from Greek tēle-, tele-) + vision, vision; see vision.
television - Computer Definition