- The definition of a television is an electronic device used to receive sound and images which create television programs that people watch.
A device in your house on which you watch sitcoms, movies or the news is an example of a television.
A flat panel television.
- the practice or science of transmitting scenes or views by radio or, sometimes, by wire: the television transmitter, by means of a camera tube, such as an image orthicon or vidicon, converts light rays into electric signals for modulation upon a radio carrier wave or for transmission over wires; the television receiver reconverts the signals into electron beams that are projected against the fluorescent screen of the kinescope, or picture tube, reproducing the original image
- broadcasting by television as an industry, entertainment, art, etc.
- all the facilities and related activities of such broadcasting
- a television receiving set
- a television program or programs: they watched television last night
Origin of televisiontele- + vision
- a. An electronic broadcast system in which special providers transmit a continuous program of video content to the public or subscribers by way of antenna, cable, or satellite dish, often on multiple channels: a new sitcom on television.b. Video content, especially short programs, created for or distributed through such a system: stayed home and watched television.c. An electronic device for viewing television programs and movies, consisting of a display screen and speakers: sat too close to the television.
- The industry of producing and broadcasting television programs: made her fortune in television.
Origin of televisionFrench télévision : télé-, far (from Greek tēle-, tele–) + vision, vision; see vision.
(countable and uncountable, plural televisions)
- (uncountable) An electronic communication medium that allows the transmission of real-time visual images, and often sound.
- Itâ€™s a good thing that television doesnâ€™t transmit smell.
- (countable) A device for receiving television signals and displaying them in visual form.
- I have an old television in the study.
- (uncountable) Collectively, the programs broadcast via the medium of television.
- fifty-seven channels and nothing on television
(third-person singular simple present televisions, present participle televisioning, simple past and past participle televisioned)
- (neologism, informal) To watch television.
television - Computer Definition