- The definition of a shriek is a high-pitched scream or cry often made when angry, scared or in pain.
The high-pitched sound you make when you see a ghost is an example of a shriek.
- To shriek is to make a high-pitched sound, often out of fear, anger or pain.
When you start yelling and screaming, this is an example of a time when you shriek.
A woman shrieking.
shriek definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English schriken, variant, variety of scriken, probably ; from Old Norse an unverified form skrīka, to cry, akin to skrīkja, cry of birds: for Indo-European base see scream
- shrieker noun
shriek definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A shrill, often frantic cry.
- A sound suggestive of such a cry.
- To utter a shriek.
- To make a sound similar to a shriek.
Origin: Middle English skriken, shriken, of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse skrǽkja.
- shriekˈer noun