- The definition of shrill is someone or something that is loud and high-pitched, or that is loud and forceful.
An example of a sound that would be described as shrill is a high-pitched, loud complaint.
- having or producing a high, thin, piercing tone; high-pitched
- characterized or accompanied by shrill sounds
- unrestrained and irritatingly insistent
- Archaic keen; sharp; biting; poignant
Origin: Middle English shrille, akin to Low German schrell, German schrill: echoic, probably akin to shriek
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective shrill·er, shrill·est
- High-pitched and piercing in tone or sound: the shrill wail of a siren.
- Producing a sharp, high-pitched tone or sound: a shrill fife.
- Sharp or keen to the senses; harshly vivid: shrill colors.
Origin: Middle English shrille.
- shrillˈness noun
- shrilˈly adverb