- The definition of a screech is a high-pitched yell or noise.
An example of a screech is the sound a barn owl makes.
- Screech is defined as to make a high-pitched yelling sound.
An example of screech is a bird making a loud piercing sound.
A bird screeches.
screech definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English scrichen ; from Old Norse skraekja: for Indo-European base see scream
screech definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A high-pitched, strident cry.
- A sound suggestive of this cry: the screech of train brakes.
- To cry out in a high-pitched, strident voice.
- To make a sound suggestive of a screech: Tires screeched on the wet pavement.
Origin: Alteration of obsolete scrich, from Middle English scrichen, to screech, perhaps of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse skrǽkja.
- screechˈer noun
- screechˈi·ness noun
- screechˈy adjective