- of the nose
- articulated by means of partial or complete closing of the mouth, as at the velum, alveolar ridge, or lips, so that all or part of the breath passes through the nose, as in the consonants (m), (n), and (?) and certain French vowels
- characterized by such production of sounds
- having or characteristic of a vocal tone resulting from reduction in airflow through the nose, as when the nose is pinched or the nasal passages are congested
Origin of nasalModern Latin nasalis ; from Classical Latin nasus, nose
- Linguis. a nasal () sound or a letter or symbol representing such a sound
- Anat. a bone or plate of the nose
Origin of nasalME < OFr nasal, nasel < L nasus, nose the protective nosepiece of a helmet
- Of, in, or relating to the nose.
- Linguistics Articulated by lowering the soft palate so that air resonates in the nasal cavities and passes out the nose, as in the pronunciation of the consonants (m), (n), and (ng) or the nasalized vowel of French bon.
- Characterized by or resembling a resonant sound produced through the nose: a nasal whine.
- Linguistics A nasal consonant.
- A nasal part or bone, forming part of the bridge of the nose.
- The nosepiece of a helmet.
Origin of nasalPossibly from Middle English nasale, from Medieval Latin nasalis, from Latin nasus, nose; see nas- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more nasal, superlative most nasal)
- (anatomy) Of or pertaining to the nose.
- (phonetics) Having a quality imparted by means of the nose; and specifically, made by lowering the soft palate, in some cases with closure of the oral passage, the voice thus issuing (wholly or partially) through the nose, as in the consonants m, n, ng; characterized by resonance in the nasal passage; as, a nasal vowel; a nasal utterance.
- An elementary sound which is uttered through the nose, or through both the nose and the mouth simultaneously, such asm and n.
- (medicine, archaic) A medicine that operates through the nose; an errhine.
- (phonetics) A nasal vowel or consonant.
- (now historical) Part of a helmet projecting to protect the nose; a nose guard.
- (anatomy) One of the nasal bones.
- (zoology) A plate, or scale, on the nose of a fish, etc.