- Present participle of shove.
- The act of one who shoves.
- We were soon separated by the pushings and shovings of the crowd.
Variant of shove
intransitive verbshoved, shoving
- to push or thrust, as along a surface
- to push roughly or hastily
Origin of shoveMiddle English shoven ; from Old English scufan, akin to Old Norse skufa, German schieben ; from Indo-European base an unverified form skeubh-, to throw, shove from source scoff
the act or an instance of shoving; a push or thrust
- to push (a boat) away from shore, as in departing
- ☆ Informal to start off; leave