robber baronrobber baron
- a nobleman of feudal times who robbed people traveling through his domain
- any of a number of U.S. capitalists of the late 19th cent. who acquired vast wealth by exploitation and ruthlessness
- One of the American industrial or financial magnates of the late 1800s who became wealthy by unethical means, such as questionable stock-market operations and exploitation of labor.
- A feudal lord who robbed travelers passing through his domain.
(plural robber barons)
- (historical) In Europe, an aristocrat who charged exorbitant fees or otherwise exacted money from people who journeyed across land or waterways which he controlled.
- (chiefly US, idiomatic, usually derogatory) Especially in the 19th-century and early 20th-century, a business tycoon who had great wealth and influence but whose methods were morally questionable.
- Alternative spelling of robber baron.