refrigerate definition by Webster's New World
- to make or keep cool or cold; chill
- to preserve (food, biologicals, etc.) by keeping cold or freezing
Origin: ; from Classical Latin refrigeratus, past participle of refrigerare, to make cool or cold ; from re-, intensive plush frigerare, to cool ; from frigus, cold: see frigid
refrigerate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb re·frig·er·at·ed, re·frig·er·at·ing, re·frig·er·ates
- To cool or chill (a substance).
- To preserve (food) by chilling.
Origin: Latin refrīgerāre, refrīgerāt- : re-, re- + frīgerāre, to make cool (from frīgus, frīgor-, coldness).
- re·frigˌer·aˈtion noun
- re·frigˈer·aˌtive, re·frigˈer·a·toˌry adjective