- The definition of a pilgrimage is a long journey, especially one made by a person going to a holy place.
An example of a pilgrimage is the Hajj, the journey taken by thousands of Muslim people traveling to Mecca, Saudi Arabia.
pilgrimage definition by Webster's New World
- a journey made by a pilgrim, esp. to a shrine or holy place
- any long journey, as to a place of historical interest
Origin: Middle English pilgrymage ; from Old French pelegrinage ; from pelegrin, pilgrim
pilgrimage definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A journey to a sacred place or shrine.
- A long journey or search, especially one of exalted purpose or moral significance.