Variant of philosophy
- Archaic love of, or the search for, wisdom or knowledge
- theory or logical analysis of the principles underlying conduct, thought, knowledge, and the nature of the universe: included in philosophy are ethics, aesthetics, logic, epistemology, metaphysics, etc.
- the general principles or laws of a field of knowledge, activity, etc.: the philosophy of economics
- a particular system of principles for the conduct of life
- a treatise covering such a system
- a study of human morals, character, and behavior
- mental balance or composure thought of as resulting from the study of philosophy
- Obsolete natural philosophy
Origin: Middle English philosophie from Old French from Classical Latin philosophia from Glassical Greek from philosophos: see philosopher
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.