The definition of passive voice is when the subject in a sentence is acting upon a verb.
An example of passive voice is "the bird was caught by the cat."
- attributive form of passive voice, noun.
- Your many long passive-voice passages are hard to read.
- (grammar) The form of a transitive verb in which its subject receives the action.
- The passive voice is sometimes criticized for de-emphasizing the actor.
- Many languages, including English, use auxiliary verbs in constructing the passive voice.
- (proscribed) Any construction that obscures the agent of an action, or the agency of said agent.