- The definition of a passive vocabulary is a list of all of the words and definitions of a language, profession, specialized group of individuals or from a specific person.
An example of a passive vocabulary is a collection of words and definitions in a dictionary.
(plural passive vocabularies)
- The words and phrases, collectively, that someone understands in speech and writing but does not commonly use.
- John's passive vocabulary seems to encompass most of the words in the Collegiate Dictionary!
Variant of vocabulary
- a list of words and, often, phrases, abbreviations, inflectional forms, etc., usually arranged in alphabetical order and defined or otherwise identified, as in a dictionary or glossary
- all the words of a language
- an interrelated group of nonverbal symbols, signs, gestures, etc. used for communication or expression in a particular art, skill, etc.
Origin of vocabularyMedieval Latin vocabularium ; from Classical Latin vocabulum, a word: see vocable