- When a female horse and a male donkey are bred and a sterile hybrid offspring is born, this offspring is an example of a mule.
- When your stubborn dad refuses to get a cell phone or Internet despite your best efforts to explain how these communication tools work, this is an example of him being as stubborn as a mule.
- A person who moves illegal drugs from Mexico into the United States is an example of a mule.
- the offspring of a donkey and a horse; esp., the offspring of a jackass and a mare: mules are nearly always sterile
- a small tractor or electric engine used to tow boats along a canal or move mine cars
- a machine for drawing and spinning cotton fibers into yarn and winding the yarn on spindles
- a hybrid animal, as the offspring of a canary and some other finch; esp., a sterile hybrid
- Informal a stubborn person
- Slang a person who smuggles drugs or narcotics into a country
Origin of muleOld French feminine of mul ; from Classical Latin mulus, mule
Origin of muleFrench ultimately ; from Classical Latin mulleus, red or purple shoe ; from Indo-European base an unverified form mel-, dark-colored from source Classical Greek melas, black
- The sterile hybrid offspring of a male donkey and a female horse, characterized by long ears and a short mane.
- A sterile hybrid, as between a canary and other birds or between certain plants.
- Informal A stubborn person.
- A spinning machine that makes thread or yarn from fibers. Also called spinning mule.
- A small, usually electric tractor or locomotive used for hauling over short distances.
- Slang A person who serves as a courier of illegal drugs.
Origin of muleMiddle English, from Old French mul and from Old English mūl, both from Latin mūlus.
Origin of muleProbably French, slipper, possibly from Middle Dutch muil, ultimately from Latin mulleus (calceus), reddish-purple (ceremonial shoe).
- A generally sterile male or female hybrid offspring of a male donkey and a female horse.
- A generally sterile hybrid offspring of any two species of animals.
- (informal) A stubborn person.
- (slang) A person paid to smuggle drugs.
- (numismatics) A coin or medal minted with obverse and reverse designs not normally seen on the same piece, either intentionally or in error.
- (gaming) A character on an MMORPG used mainly to store extra inventory of the owner's primary character.
From Middle English (reinforced by Anglo-Norman mul (masculine), mule (feminine)), from Old English mÅ«l, all from Latin mÅ«lus, from Proto-Indo-European *mukslÃ³s (compare Late Latin muscellus 'young he-mule', Old Russian mÅÅ¡kÅ 'mule', Ancient Greek (Phocian) mychlÃ³s 'he-ass').