- When a female horse and a male donkey are bred and a sterile hybrid offspring is born, this offspring is an example of a mule.
- When your stubborn dad refuses to get a cell phone or Internet despite your best efforts to explain how these communication tools work, this is an example of him being as stubborn as a mule.
- A person who moves illegal drugs from Mexico into the United States is an example of a mule.
- the hybrid offspring of a donkey and a horse; esp., the offspring of a jackass and a mare: mules are nearly always sterile
- a small tractor or electric engine used to tow boats along a canal or move mine cars
- a machine for drawing and spinning cotton fibers into yarn and winding the yarn on spindles
- a hybrid animal, as the offspring of a canary and some other finch; esp., a sterile hybrid
Origin of mulefrom the mule's traditional reputation for stubbornnessInformal a stubborn person
- Slang a person who smuggles drugs or narcotics into a country
Origin of muleOFr, feminine of mul ; from Classical Latin mulus, mule
Origin of muleFr, ultimately ; from Classical Latin mulleus, red or purple shoe ; from Indo-European base an unverified form mel-, dark-colored from source Classical Greek melas, black
- The sterile hybrid offspring of a male donkey and a female horse, characterized by long ears and a short mane.
- A sterile hybrid, as between a canary and other birds or between certain plants.
- Informal A stubborn person.
- A spinning machine that makes thread or yarn from fibers. Also called spinning mule.
- A small, usually electric tractor or locomotive used for hauling over short distances.
- Slang A person who serves as a courier of illegal drugs.
Origin of muleMiddle English, from Old French mul and from Old English m&umacron;l, both from Latin m&umacron;lus.
Origin of muleProbably French, slipper, possibly from Middle Dutch muil, ultimately from Latin mulleus (calceus), reddish-purple (ceremonial shoe).
- A generally sterile male or female hybrid offspring of a male donkey and a female horse.
- A generally sterile hybrid offspring of any two species of animals.
- (informal) A stubborn person.
- (slang) A person paid to smuggle drugs.
- (numismatics) A coin or medal minted with obverse and reverse designs not normally seen on the same piece, either intentionally or in error.
- (gaming) A character on an MMORPG used mainly to store extra inventory of the owner's primary character.
From Middle English (reinforced by Anglo-Norman mul (masculine), mule (feminine)), from Old English mÅ«l, all from Latin mÅ«lus, from Proto-Indo-European *mukslÃ³s (compare Late Latin muscellus 'young he-mule', Old Russian mÅÅ¡kÅ 'mule', Ancient Greek (Phocian) mychlÃ³s 'he-ass').