- a wicker basket, canvas bag, for holding fish, often worn over the shoulder by a person who fishes
- a basketlike cage for trapping fish, shellfish, etc.
- a frame or rack for holding the bobbins or spools in spinning or weaving
Origin: Middle English crel ; from Old French graïl: see griddle
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A wicker basket, especially one used by anglers for carrying fish.
- A frame for holding bobbins or spools in a spinning machine.
Origin: Middle English crel, from Old French *creille, latticework, from Latin crātīcula, gridiron, diminutive of crātis, wickerwork.