Variant of medium
- something intermediate
- a middle state or degree; mean
- an intervening thing through which a force acts or an effect is produced: copper is a good medium for conducting heat
- pl. media any means, agency, or instrumentality; specif., a means of communication that reaches the general public and carries advertising: in this specif. sense, a singular form (pl.) is now often used
- any surrounding or pervading substance in which bodies exist or move
- a sterilized nutritive mixture, as enriched agar, for cultivating bacteria, viruses, etc.
- pl. mediums☆ a person through whom communications are thought to be sent to the living from spirits of the dead
- any material or technique as used for expression or delineation in art
- a liquid mixed with pigments to give smoothness
Origin: L, the middle, neuter of medius: see mid
- in a middle position; intermediate in quality, amount, degree, size, etc.
- neither rare nor well-done: said of cooked meat
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.