- Lineage is defined as the descendants of a common ancestor.
An example of lineage are people who all have the same common relative from 300 years ago.
- direct descent from an ancestor
- ancestry; family; stock
- descendants from a common ancestor
Origin of lineageMiddle English linage ; from Old French lignage ; from ligne: see line
- a. Direct descent from a particular ancestor; ancestry.b. Derivation.
- The descendants of a common ancestor considered to be the founder of the line.
Origin of lineageMiddle English linage, lineage, from Old French lignage, from ligne, line; see line1.
Variant of linage.
lineage - Legal Definition
The overview or totality of the marriage and blood relationships within a family, including the ancestors and descendants of a particular individual.