- Lineage is defined as the descendants of a common ancestor.
An example of lineage are people who all have the same common relative from 300 years ago.
lineage definition by Webster's New World
- direct descent from an ancestor
- ancestry; family; stock
- descendants from a common ancestor
Origin: Middle English linage ; from Old French lignage ; from ligne: see line
lineage definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Direct descent from a particular ancestor; ancestry.b. Derivation.
- The descendants of a common ancestor considered to be the founder of the line.
Origin: Middle English linage, lineage, from Old French lignage, from ligne, line; see line1.
lineage - Legal Definition