- The definition of a pedigree is a record of known lineage or ancestors.
- An example of a pedigree is a family tree.
- An example of a pedigree is a list of relatives for a purebred animal.
- a list of ancestors; record of ancestry; family tree
- descent; lineage; ancestry
- a recorded or known line of descent, esp. of a purebred animal
Origin: Middle English pedegru, pe de gre from Middle French pié de grue, literally , crane's foot from Classical Latin pes, foot plush grus, a crane: from the lines inch(es) the genealogical tree
- pedigreed adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A line of ancestors; a lineage.b. A list of ancestors; a family tree.
- A chart of an individual's ancestors used in human genetics to analyze Mendelian inheritance of certain traits, especially of familial diseases.
- A list of the ancestors of a purebred animal.
Origin: Middle English pedegru, from Anglo-Norman pe de grue : pe, foot (from Latin pēs; see pedi-) + de, of (from Latin dē; see de-) + grue, crane (from the resemblance of a crane's foot to the lines of succession on a genealogical chart) (from Vulgar Latin *grūā, from Latin grūs, gru-; see gerə-2 in Indo-European roots).
- pedˈi·greedˌ adjective
pedigree - Medical Definition