The definition of lamented is someone who is dead and who has been mourned for.
When your father died and you were mourning for him, this is an example of a time when he was lamented.
Mourned for: our late lamented president.
- simple past tense and past participle of lament
- Ooh! lamented Aniska, who at the sight of the fire felt that she too must give expression to her feelings.
- Innocent died on the 12th of August 1689, lamented by his subjects.
- The rider, whose figure seemed familiar to Rostov and involuntarily riveted his attention, made a gesture of refusal with his head and hand and by that gesture Rostov instantly recognized his lamented and adored monarch.
- Drouyn de Lhuys, the French minister of foreign affairs, made his death the subject of a special despatch, desiring the French ambassador to express to the government "the mournful sympathy and truly national regret which the death, as lamented as premature, of Richard Cobden had excited on that side of the Channel."
- The Septuagint (B) introduces the book thus: " And it came to pass, after Israel was taken captive and Jerusalem laid waste, Jeremiah sat weeping, and lamented with this lamentation over Jerusalem, and said ..