The definition of lamented is someone who is dead and who has been mourned for.
When your father died and you were mourning for him, this is an example of a time when he was lamented.
Mourned for: our late lamented president.
- simple past tense and past participle of lament
- Innocent died on the 12th of August 1689, lamented by his subjects.
- Ooh! lamented Aniska, who at the sight of the fire felt that she too must give expression to her feelings.
- The rider, whose figure seemed familiar to Rostov and involuntarily riveted his attention, made a gesture of refusal with his head and hand and by that gesture Rostov instantly recognized his lamented and adored monarch.
- The Septuagint (B) introduces the book thus: " And it came to pass, after Israel was taken captive and Jerusalem laid waste, Jeremiah sat weeping, and lamented with this lamentation over Jerusalem, and said ..
- The premature death of this illustrious traveller is the more to be lamented because his vast knowledge died with him.